header image

Readings and an Update

First, our project is still in the editing stage.  Today I am emailing Jim Groom with our six pictures and brief descriptions.  Also, over the weekend, our group did some brainstorming on how to be a little more “creative” with our project.  We came up with some pretty good ideas and hope to share them with our next update.  We also hope to be done editing our posts by our presentation on the 17th at the Symposium.  Ryan met with Jim Groom – but he is going to share that info with us today.  Hopefully we will have our timeline and our tag cloud up soon!

The  first article I read was also Barbara Weintein’s Doing History int he Digital Age.  It was pretty interesting to be able to trace the changes that have taken place over the years surrounding technology and how everyone, including professors, utilize that digital media to help their students.  Furthermore, it is interesting to note how technology has changed the way of researching for students, as well, though we have already discussed this in past lectures.  Its neat to see other scholars on the same page in recognizing this change.  However, like Lindsey and Barbara, I prefer to do things the old fashioned way . . . .sometimes.  I love the search on the UMW libraries page and much rather prefer it.  However, I really do enjoy going to a bookstore and “judging books by their covers” as opposed to looking for them online (though I also own a kindle).

The second article I read was one of the Wikipedia articles by Christopher Miller titled Strange facts in the History Classroom: Or How I Learned to stop Worrying and Love the Wiki(pedia).”  This article struck me because in my 299 course, one of the first things said when discussing how to research was “NEVER use Wikipedia.  It is not a source and therefore is unreliable. NEVER use Wikipedia.”  It was my mantra for a long time.  This article discusses the issues with using Wikipedia as a source for material in the academic world but then also described a project he had his students do which was very interesting.  The end result was that Wikipedia articles were not very well reliable: surprise surprise.  However, doesn’t this mean that scholars and students who have more accurate knowledge should change or correct the misinformation.  There is a reason why America’s intellectual levels are declining!

~ by seye on April 10, 2012.

Uncategorized